See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The rear main seal is a one piece unit. It can be removed or installed without removing the oil pan or crankshaft.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle with jackstands.
- Remove the transmission.
- If equipped with a manual transmission, remove the clutch and pressure plate.
- Remove the flywheel assembly.
- Using a suitable prytool, carefully pry the old seal out.
- Inspect the crankshaft for nicks or burrs, correct as required.
- Clean the area and coat the seal with engine oil. Install the seal onto tool J-34686 for 3.4L engines, J 41349 for 3.8L engines or J 35621 for 5.7L engines.
- Install the tool (with the seal mounted to it) onto the rear of the crankshaft. Tighten the screws snugly to be sure the seal will be installed squarely over the crankshaft.
- Tighten the wing nut on the installation tool until it bottoms out.
- Remove the tool from the crankshaft or rear oil seal housing, as applicable.
- Install the flywheel.
- If equipped with a manual transmission, install the clutch and pressure plate.
- Install the transmission.
- Check the fluid levels, start the engine and check for leaks.