REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
On doors that are equipped with power operated components, perform the following:
- Remove the door trim panel and inner panel water deflector.
- Tag and detach the electrical connectors from components in the door.
- Remove the wiring harness rubber grommet, then remove the wire harness from the door through the conduit access hole.
- Use door hinge spring compressor tool J-36604, or equivalent to remove the spring.
- With the aid of a helper to support the door, remove the upper and lower hinge nuts, then remove the door from the vehicle.
- With the help of an assistant, position the door in alignment with the upper and lower hinges.
- Install the upper and lower hinge nuts and tighten to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm), in the sequence shown in the accompanying figure.
- Install the spring using compressor tool J-36604 or equivalent.
On doors with power operated components, perform the following:
- Install the wire harness to the door through the conduit access hole, then install the rubber conduit to the door.
- Attach the electrical connectors to all components in the door, as tagged during removal.
- Install the inner panel water deflector and door trim panel.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
Make sure the gap around the door is even all the way around. The door should be even with the rest of the body. If not, loosen the door hinge screws and move the door (in, out, up or down) as necessary.Door Lock Striker
The door must be properly aligned before adjusting the striker.WITH ALIGNMENT TOOL J 39346
See Figures 3 and 4
- Loosen the door lock striker bolts/screws just enough to allow movement of the door lock striker.
- Install door striker alignment tool J 39346, or equivalent, to the door lock striker.
- Gently close the door while holding the handle in the open position. Do NOT slam the door.
- Open the door.
- Tighten the door lock striker bolts/screws to 21 ft. lbs. (29 Nm).
- Remove the door lock striker alignment tool.
- Loosen the lock striker bolts/screws, then move the lock striker up or down and inboard or outboard as required.
- Tighten the door lock striker bolts to 21 ft. lbs. (29 Nm).
Adjust the striker forward or rearward as follows:
- Apply modeling clay or body caulking compound to the door lock opening.
- Close the door just far enough for the striker to make an impression in the clay or caulking compound. Do NOT close the door all the way, as this will make removal of the clay or caulk very difficult.
- Open the door and check that the striker impression is centered forward and rearward in the lock opening.
If adjustment is needed, perform the following:
- Remove the door lock striker retaining bolts/screws, then remove the striker.
- Add or remove spacers, as necessary.
- Install the lock striker washer, spacers and striker and secure with the retaining bolts/screws. Tighten to 21 ft. lbs. (29 Nm).
- After adjustment, touch up any exposed, unpainted areas.