REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 10
When removing body panels, apply fabric tape to the corners of the panel and adjacent surfaces to help prevent paint damage.
- Open the hood to a full open position, and have an assistant securely support the hood.
- Matchmark the position of the hood hinges using a marker or paint.
- Disconnect the hood open assist rod from the strut stud. Use a small prytool to pry the clip out while pulling the assist rod from the hood strut stud.
- Unfasten the hood hinge bolts/screws and hinge bracket nuts from the hood hinges.
- With the help of an assistant, remove the hood from the vehicle.
- Position the hood to the vehicle, with the help of an assistant.
- Install the hood hinge bolts/screws and hinge bracket nuts. Tighten the retainers to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
- Connect the hood open assist rod to the strut stud.
- Close the hood slowly, checking the clearance between the hood, front fenders and, for Pontiac only, headlamp opening doors.
- If necessary, adjust the hood.
See Figures 11 and 12
- Close the hood firmly.
- Determine the amount of adjustment needed using the accompanying specifications.
- Open the hood.
- Change the height by turning the hood bumpers up or down, as necessary.
- Repeat these steps until the proper alignment is reached.