REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Temperature Control Cable
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the right side instrument panel sound insulator.
- Remove the temperature control cable screw from the heater module assembly, then detach the cable from the module.
- For Firebirds, remove the control assembly trim plate by pulling the trim plate rearward and off the instrument panel lower trim pad.
- For Camaros, remove the instrument cluster trim plate.
- Unfasten the heater and A/C control retaining bolts/screws, then pull the control assembly out far enough to reach the temperature control cable connection.
- While releasing the temperature control cable clips from the control assembly, pry the temperature control cable with a small prytool from the control assembly. Remove the temperature control cable.
- Slip the control cable into position over the lever arm. Align the shaft with the temperature control cable slot.
- Press the cable clip into the slot in the control assembly. Make sure all three clips are in place.
- Install the control head assembly and secure with the retaining bolts/screws. Tighten to 17 inch lbs. (1.9 Nm).
- For Firebirds, install the control assembly trim plate by holding it in position and pressing forward to engage the four retaining clips.
- For Camaros, install the instrument cluster trim plate.
- Install the temperature control cable to the heater module and secure with the retaining screw. Tighten the screw to 17 inch lbs. (1.9 Nm).
- Install the right side instrument panel sound insulator.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
The control cables are connected at the heater module to the air valve that each cable operates. The cable ends are attached to the air valve crank arm by a self-adjusting clip that grips the cable core firmly. Adjustment can be accomplished by moving the temperature lever briskly back and forth to both extremes of lever travel in the control assembly. When the cable is properly adjusted, the air valve may be heard hitting it's stop at both extremes of travel.