REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 11
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
If your vehicle is equipped with a side window mirror selector or door lock switches, it will have an accessory trim switch panel. If not, it will have a cover. Both parts are removed in the same manner.
- Remove the accessory switch plate or opening cover, as follows:
- Use a small prytool to pry at the front and rear of the accessory switch panel or cover to release the metal clips.
- If equipped, detach the electrical connectors.
- Remove the accessory trim switch plate or opening cover.
- Remove the switches using a prytool.
Remove the front door inside handle bezel, as follows:
- Remove the front side door locking rod knob by sliding the knob forward and inserting a small prytool behind the end of the knob. Pry it away from the locking rod.
- Unfasten the retaining bolt/screw.
- For Pontiacs, slide the bezel forward to release it from the trim panel.
- For Chevrolets, unsnap the bezel from the trim panel. If equipped detach the electrical connectors.
Remove the door window regulator handle and spacer, as follows:
- Remove the handle by pushing door handle clip remover J 9886-01 between the handle and the spacer to release the clip.
- Remove the spacer from the spindle.
- Remove the outside rearview mirror bezel.
- Unfasten the door trim panel retaining bolts/screws.
Do not try to pull the trim panel straight off the door, or the hooks in the panel will break. To disengage the hooks, the trim panel must be lifted up then pulled away from the door.
Remove the trim panel as follows:
- Pull slightly on the rear of the trim to release the tab.
- Lift up on the trim.
- Pull the trim away from the door, making sure that the hooks release from the holes in the door inner panel.
- If equipped, detach the speaker electrical connector from the door.
- Remove the courtesy lamp socket from the trim panel.
If the trim panel is being replaced, the door speaker (tweeter) must be removed from the trim panel and transferred to the new trim panel, if equipped.
- Remove the trim panel from the vehicle.
Install the door trim panel as follows:
- Insert the hooks along the bottom of the trim part way into the holes in the door inner panel.
- If equipped, route the electrical connectors through the opening in the trim panel.
- Install the courtesy lamp socket to the trim panel
- If equipped, connect the front door speaker (tweeter) electrical connector.
- Align the upper edge of the trim panel over the door inner panel flange and insert the remaining hoods into the holes.
- Push downward to engage the hooks.
- Push the rear of the trim panel into the door to engage the tab.
- Install the door trim panel retaining bolts/screws and tighten to 40 inch lbs. (4.5 Nm).
- Install the door regulator handle and spacer.
- Install the door locking rod knob by positioning the knob over the locking rod and inserting the end of the knob through the hole in the handle bezel. Slide the knob rearward over the locking rod until the end of the locking rod fits into the depression in the knob. Snap the knob over the locking rod.
Install the accessory switch plate or opening cover, as follows:
- Install the switches, if removed.
- If equipped, attach the electrical connectors.
- Position the accessory switch panel or accessory switch cover and press to secure the retaining clips.
- Connect the negative battery cable.