REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Inside Rearview Mirror
See Figure 1
The inside rearview mirror is fastened to an inside rearview mirror support that is secured to the windshield. The rearview mirror on these vehicles is a "breakaway" type. Breakaway type rearview mirrors are designed to detach from the windshield in the event of an inflatable restraint deployment.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Detach the electrical connector.
Remove the mirror from the support as follows:
- Use one hand to support one end of the rearview mirror against the windshield.
- Use the other hand to pull the rearview mirror away from the mirror support.
Install the rearview mirror to the support, as follows:
- Position the center bottom of the rearview mirror to the top of the mirror support.
- Slide the rearview mirror onto the mirror support, keeping the mirror parallel to the windshield.
- Apply at least 20 lbs. (90 N) of force to fully seat the mirror onto the support. You will hear a click when the mirror is fully seated.
- Attach the negative battery cable.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
See Figure 2
The rear view mirror is attached to a support which is secured to the windshield glass. This support is installed by the glass supplier using a plastic-polyvinyl butyl adhesive.
Service replacement windshield glass has the mirror support bonded to the glass assembly. To install a detached mirror support or install a new part, the following items are needed:
- Determine the rear view mirror support position on the windshield. Support is to be located at the center of the glass 27 1 / 8 in. (69cm) from the base of the glass to the base of the support.
- Mark the location on the outside of the glass with wax pencil or crayon. Make a larger diameter circle around the mirror support circle on the outside of the glass surface.
- On the inside of the glass surface, clean the large circle with a paper towel and domestic scouring cleanser, glass cleaning solution or polishing compound. Rub until the area is completely clean and dry. When dry, clean the area with an alcohol saturated paper towel to remove any traces of scouring powder or cleaning solution from this area.
- With a piece of fine grit (No. 320 or No. 360) emery cloth or sandpaper, sand the bonding surface of the new rear view mirror support or factory installed support. If the original rearview mirror support is to be reused, all traces of the factory installed adhesive must be removed prior to reinstallation.
- Wipe the sanded mirror support with a clean paper towel saturated with alcohol and allow it to dry.
- Follow the directions on the manufacturer's kit to prepare the rearview mirror support prior to installation on the glass.
- Properly position the support to its premarked location, with the rounded end pointed upward. Press the support against the glass for 30-60 seconds, exerting steady pressure against the glass. After five minutes, any excess adhesive may be removed with an alcohol moistened paper towel or glass cleaning solution.
- Install the mirror.