REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the water pump and crankshaft balancer assembly.
- Tag and disconnect the spark plug wires from the distributor assembly.
- Unplug the 4-terminal PCM connector and vacuum harness from the distributor. Plug or cap the vacuum line to prevent any debris from entering.
- Use tool J 39997, or an equivalent socket, to remove the distributor cap bolts/screws. Remove the distributor cap.
- Use tool J 39998, or an equivalent bit, to unfasten the retaining bolts/screws, then remove the rotor.
- If necessary, remove the distributor cover and shield at this time.
- Inspect the distributor base and timing disk for damage, corrosion, or plastic particles. If you find any, the entire distributor assembly must be replaced.
- If removed, install the distributor shield and cover.
- Position the rotor, then secure with the retaining screws/bolts. Tighten the screws to 6 inch lbs. (0.7 Nm).
- Place the distributor cap on the distributor assembly and install the retaining bolts/screws. Tighten the cap bolts/screws to 25 inch lbs. (2.8 Nm).
- Unplug and connect the vacuum harness to the distributor.
- Attach the 4-terminal PCM connector to the distributor. Connect the spark plugs to the distributor, as tagged during removal.
- Install the crankshaft balancer and water pump.
- Connect the negative battery cable.