REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
The in-line fuel filter is located on the fuel feed pipe, before the fuel injection system, and mounted directly in front of the rear axle. The filter housing is constructed of steel with quick-connect inlet and threaded outlet fittings. The threaded fitting is sealed with an O-ring. In order to disengage quick-connect fittings, a fuel line quick-connect separator tool set, such as J-37088-A or equivalent, is required. There is no service interval for fuel filter replacement. Only replace the fuel filter if it is restricted.
- Release the fuel pressure as follows:
In order to perform this procedure as listed below, fuel pressure gauge kit J-34730-1 or equivalent is required.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Loosen the fuel tank filler cap in order to relieve the fuel vapor pressure from the fuel tank.
- Connect fuel pressure gauge J 34730-1 or equivalent to the fuel pressure connection. To avoid spillage while disconnecting gauge, wrap a shop towel around the fitting.
- Install the bleed hose from the gauge into an approved container and open the valve to bleed the fuel system pressure.