REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Properly disable the SIR system, as outlined in Chassis Electrical of this repair guide.
- Remove the left-hand instrument panel insulator.
- Remove the instrument panel drive knee bolster and deflector.
- Make sure the steering column and ignition lock cylinder are in the LOCK position.
- Remove the steering column upper support nuts from the steering column support, then carefully lower the steering column.
- Detach the ignition switch and dimmer switch electrical connectors.
- Remove the dimmer switch actuator rod.
- If necessary, unfasten the retaining bolts/screws, then remove the dimmer switch from the vehicle.
- Remove the ignition switch actuator rod retaining bolt/screw, then remove the rod.
- Remove the ignition switch from the vehicle.
- If equipped with an automatic transmission, remove the park lock cable.
- If equipped, install the automatic transmission park lock cable.
- Make sure the ignition switch is in the LOCK position, by moving the switch glider to the extreme right position, then moving the slider one detent left.
- Assemble the ignition switch to the jacket.
- Position the ignition switch actuator rod to the ignition switch and install the retaining bolt/screw. Tighten to 22 inch lbs. (2.5 Nm).
Assemble the dimmer switch to the ignition switch, then install the retaining bolts/screws. Adjust the dimmer switch as follows:
- Press the dimmer switch mechanism slightly to insert a 3 / 32 in. drill bit.
- Move the dimmer switch to remove the lash.
- Tighten the retaining bolts/screws to 35 inch lbs. (4 Nm).
- Install the dimmer switch actuator rod.
- Attach the electrical connectors to the dimmer switch and ignition switch.
- Carefully raise the steering column. Install the steering column upper support nuts to the steering column support.
- Install the instrument panel driver knee bolster and deflector.
- Install the left-hand instrument panel insulator.
- Connect the negative battery cable, then properly enable the SIR system.