REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 10
- Properly disable the SIR air bag system, as outlined in Chassis Electrical of this repair guide.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the SIR inflator module.
- Remove the steering wheel.
- Remove the SIR coil assembly retaining ring.
- Remove the SIR coil assembly. Let the coil hang freely if removal is not needed.
- Remove the wave washer.
- Remove the shaft lock retaining ring using tool J 23653-SIR to push down the shaft lock. Discard the ring.
- Remove the shaft lock, turn signal canceling cam assembly and upper bearing spring.
- Remove the upper bearing inner race seat, then remove the inner race.
- Place the turn signal up, to the right turn position.
Remove the multi-function lever and hazard knob, as follows:
- If equipped with cruise control, remove the steering column tilt wheel lever by grasping the lever firmly and twisting it counterclockwise.
- If equipped with cruise control, remove the access cover and detach the electrical connectors.
- Remove the multi-function lever by grasping it firmly and pulling it straight out.
- Remove the hazard switch knob by removing the retaining bolt/screw, then removing the button, spring and knob.
- Unfasten the retaining screw, then remove the turn signal switch arm.
Remove the turn signal switch retaining screws, then remove the switch as follows:
- Detach the turn signal switch connector from the bulkhead connector.
- Remove the wiring protector, then gently pull the wire harness through the column.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
- Connect the negative battery cable, then enable the SIR system, as outlined in Chassis Electrical of this repair guide.