REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- For the right side speed sensor, unclip the connectors from the clip and separate.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- For the left side speed sensor, with the vehicle safely supported, unclip the connectors from the clip and separate.
- Remove the sensor wiring harness mounting bolt and bracket from the frame rail.
- Remove the sensor retaining bolt and remove the sensor from the knuckle assembly.
- Coat the steering knuckle with anti corrosion compound 1052856 or equivalent, at the knuckle contact point.
- Install the wheel speed senor to the steering knuckle and tighten the sensor retaining bolt to 71 inch lbs. (8 Nm).
Proper installation of the wheel speed sensor cables is critical to proper operation of the ABS system. Make sure the cables are installed in the retainers. Failure to do this may result in contact with moving parts and the over extension of the cables, resulting in an open circuit.
- Connect the sensor wiring harness mounting bolt and bracket to the frame rail and tighten to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
- For the left side speed sensor, with the vehicle safely supported, attach the connectors and position them in the clip.
- Lower the vehicle.
- For the right side speed sensor, attach the connectors and position them in the clip.
- Connect the negative battery cable and road test vehicle.
The wheel speed sensor wires are labeled with either a white tag or white letter designating L (left) and R (right). It is of great importance that the speed sensors be installed in their proper sides.