See Figure 1
The TPS is mounted in the carburetor bowl below the accelerator pump plunger on the 5.0L (VIN Y) engine or on the throttle body, opposite the throttle lever shaft on all other TBI engines. Its function is to sense the current throttle valve position and relay that information to the ECM. Throttle position information allows the ECM to generate the required injector or mixture control signals. The TPS consists of a potentiometer which alters the flow of voltage according to the position of the throttle shaft.REMOVAL & Installation
EXCEPT 5.0L (VIN Y) ENGINE
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect the TPS electrical connector.
- Remove the 2 mounting screws.
- Remove the TPS and, if equipped, TPS seal from the throttle body.
- Place the TPS in position. Align the TPS lever with the TPS drive lever on the throttle body.
- Install the 2 TPS mounting screws.
- Connect the electrical connector.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
Refer to Fuel System for all carburetor service and adjustments.