See Figure 1
The VSS is located on the transmission and sends a pulsing voltage signal to the ECM which is converted to miles per hour. This sensor mainly controls the operation of the Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) system.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Disconnect the VSS electrical connector.
- Remove the retaining bolt.
- Have a clean container to catch the transmission fluid and remove the VSS.
- Remove and discard the O-ring.
- Lubricate a new O-ring with a thin film of transmission fluid. Install the O-ring and VSS.
- Install the retaining bolt.
- Connect the electrical connector.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Refill transmission to proper level.
Due to the intricacy of the system and the special testing equipment required, it is recommended that a qualified technician perform any testing, adjusting, or replacement of the system components.