See Figure 1
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Disconnect all wiring from the starter solenoid. Replace each nut as the connector is removed, as thread sizes differ from connector to connector. Note or tag the wiring positions for installation.
- Remove the bracket from the starter and the two mounting bolts. On engines with a solenoid heat shield, remove the front bracket upper bolt and detach the bracket from the starter.
- Remove the front bracket bolt or nut. Lower the starter front end first, and then remove the unit from the car.
- To install, position the starter into place and secure it with the front bracket bolt and nut. Torque the two mounting bolts to 25-35 ft. lbs. (32-42 Nm).
If shims were removed, they must be replaced to ensure proper pinion-to-flywheel engagement.
- On engines with a solenoid heat shield, attach the bracket to the starter. Install the bracket to the starter and the two mounting bolts. Install the front bracket upper bolt.
- Connect all wiring to the starter solenoid and tighten wire lug nuts.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the screw and washer from the motor connector strap terminal.
- Remove the two solenoid retaining screws.
- Twist the solenoid housing clockwise to remove the flange key from the keyway in the housing. Then remove the housing.
- To re-install the unit, place the return spring on the plunger and place the solenoid body on the drive housing. Turn counterclockwise to engage the flange key. Place the two retaining screws in position and install the screw and washer which secures the strap terminal. Install the unit on the starter.