REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
EXCEPT 5.0L (VIN Y) ENGINE
See Figures 1 and 2
Rocker arms are removed by removing the adjusting nut. Be sure to keep all the components in the exact order of removal so they may be installed in there original location; adjust the valve lash after replacing the rocker arms. Coat the replacement rocker arm and ball with engine oil before installation.
Rocker arms studs that have damaged threads or are loose in the cylinder heads may be replaced by reaming the bore and installing oversize studs. Oversized available are 0.003 inch and 0.013 inch. The bore may also be tapped and screw-in studs installed. Several aftermarket companies produce complete rocker arm stud kits with installation tools.5.0L (VIN Y) ENGINE
See Figure 3
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the valve cover.
- Remove the retaining bolts from a set of rocker arm assemblies.
- Remove the rocker arms, bolts and the rocker arm pivots from their mounting.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
- Inspect the rocker pivots for wear and replace as necessary. Torque the rocker arm bolts to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm).