REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
EXCEPT 5.0L (VIN Y) ENGINE
See Figure 1
- Remove the intake manifold, valve cover and push rod cover (4-cylinder). Disassemble the rocker arms and remove the push rods.
- Remove the lifters. If they are coated with varnish, clean with carburetor cleaning solvent.
- If installing new lifters or you have disassembled the lifters, they must be primed before installation. Submerge the lifters in SAE 10 oil and carefully push down on the plunger with a 1 / 8 inch drift. Hold the plunger down (DO NOT pump), then release the plunger slowly. The lifter is now primed.
- Coat the bottoms of the lifters with Molykote® before installation. Install the lifters and pushrods into the engine in their original position.
- Install the rocker arms and adjust the valves. Complete the installation by reversing the removal procedure.
See Figures 2, 3 and 4
Valve lifters and pushrods should be kept in order so they can be reinstalled in their original position. Some engines will have both standard and 0.010 in. oversize valve lifters as original equipment. The oversize lifters are etched with an O on their sides; the cylinder block will also be marked with an O if the oversize lifter is used.
- Remove the intake manifold and gasket.
- Remove the valve covers.
- Remove the valve lifter retainer and guide.
- Remove the rocker arm assemblies and pushrods.
- If the lifters are coated with varnish, apply carburetor cleaning solvent to the lifter body. The solvent should dissolve the varnish.
- Remove the lifters. Remove the lifter retainer guide bolts, and remove the guides. A special tool for removing lifters is available from local part suppliers, and is helpful for this procedure.
- New lifters must be primed before installation. Submerge the lifters in SAE 10 oil, which is very thin. Carefully insert the end of a 1 / 8 inch (3mm) drift into the lifter and pump up and down on the plunger. The lifter is now primed.
- Coat the bottoms of the lifters and the rollers with Molykote® or an equivalent molybdenum-disulfide lubricant before installation. Install the lifters and pushrods into the engine in their original order. Install the lifter retainer guide.
- Install the rocker arm assemblies and pushrods. Torque the rocker arm to 22 ft. lbs. (28 Nm).
- Install the valve lifter retainer and guide.
- Install the intake manifold gaskets and manifold.
- Install the valve covers.
- Change the engine oil and filter, connect the negative battery cable, check and fill the coolant to the proper level.
- Start the engine and check for leaks.