REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
EXCEPT 5.0L (VIN Y) ENGINE
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Remove cooling fan as follows:
- Remove upper and lower fan shrouds.
- Remove nuts and fan clutch with cooling fan.
- Remove spacer if equipped, and if necessary remove bolts connecting cooling fan and clutch.
If equipped with a clutch fan, keep the fan in an upright position during repairs to prevent the silicone fluid from leaking out.
- Loosen and remove the serpentine belt from the coolant pump pulley and remove the pulley.
- Drain the cooling system.
- Unfasten the heater bypass and radiator hose from the pump, as equipped.
- If required, remove the alternator, air conditioning compressor and/or power steering brackets.
- Remove the bolts securing the water pump and remove the pump.
- Clean cylinder block and coolant pump gasket surfaces and discard old gaskets.
- Place new gaskets on coolant pump and mounting bolts and attach coolant pump making sure gaskets remain in proper position. Tighten mounting bolts to 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm).
- If removed, connect the alternator, air conditioning compressor and/or power steering brackets.
- Fasten heater bypass and radiator hose, as equipped, to the pump.
- Attach coolant pump pulley and serpentine belt to the coolant pump.
Attach cooling fan as follows:
- Attach cooling fan to the fan clutch, if removed, with bolts. Tighten bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm).
- Place spacer, if equipped, and attach fan assembly to the cooling pump. Be sure to align reference marks on the fan clutch and coolant pump hub.
- Tighten nuts to 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm).
- Attach upper and lower fan shrouds and tighten screws to 53 inch lbs. (5.8 Nm).
- Connect the negative battery cable and add coolant to engine.
- Start engine and check for leaks.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Drain the cooling system.
- Disconnect the lower radiator hose, the heater hose and the by-pass hose from the water pump.
- Remove the fan assembly, the drive belts and the water pump pulley.
- Remove the alternator, the power steering pump and the air conditioning compressor brackets, then move the units aside.
- Remove the water pump mounting bolts, noting where each bolt came from since several different bolt sizes are used and then remove the pump assembly.
- Clean the gasket mounting surfaces. Use new gaskets apply sealant to the gasket mating surface on the pump.
- Install the water pump and bolts. Torque the mounting bolts to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm).
- Install the alternator, the power steering pump and the air conditioning compressor brackets.
- Install the pulley and fan assembly, then the drive belts.
- Reconnect the lower radiator hose, the heater hose and the by-pass hose to the water pump.
- Connect the negative battery cable. Fill the cooling system, start the engine and inspect for leaks.