REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Open the tailgate like a door until the tension is relieved from the torque rod. Remove the torque rod assist link retainer to body bolts.
- Close the tailgate and open it as a gate.
- Support the tailgate in the full open position. Remove the support cable to the left upper hinge striker assembly. Remove the left side quarter trim.
- With the aid of an assistant, remove the left lower hinge to body retaining bolts.
- Disconnect the electrical harness connector. Remove the screws retaining the electrical conduit to the tailgate assembly.
With the tailgate open in the gate position and the right and left upper locks manually engaged, the tailgate is in a vulnerable position and could drop from the right lower lock if the locking rod and the outside handle are activated. Do not pull on the rod or activate the outside handle, as damage to the tailgate or personal injury could result.
- Manually latch the left upper lock. With the aid of an assistant support the tailgate, activate the right side door handle to unlock and free the right lower lock from the striker assembly.
- Remove the tailgate assembly by lifting upward and than rearward.
- Position the tailgate assembly in place on the vehicle.
- Install the retaining bolts.
- Install the electrical conduit to the tailgate assembly.
- Connect the electrical harness connector.
- Install the left quarter trim.
- Install the left upper hinge striker assembly. Adjust the tailgate assembly, as required.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
The tailgate can be aligned slightly by loosening the hinge and/or the latch bolts. The bottom of the tailgate can be adjusted in or out by adding or removing shims between the hinge and body.
When adjusting the hinge/latch-to-body positions, be sure to use alignment marks as reference points.