REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Raise and support the car.
- Remove the wheel or wheels.
- Pull the brake drum off. Gently tap the rear edges of the drum to start it off the studs.
It may be necessary to remove a retainer clip installed from the factory if this is the first time the drum has been removed.
- If extreme resistance to removal is encountered, it will be necessary to retract the adjusting screw. Knock out the access hole in the backing plate and turn the adjuster to retract the linings away from the drum.
- Install a replacement hole cover before reinstalling drum.
- Install the drums in the same position on the hub as removed.
Check the drums for any cracks, scores, grooves, or an out-of-round condition. Replace if cracked. Slight scores can be removed with fine emery cloth while extensive scoring requires turning the drum on a lathe. Never have a drum turned more than 0.060 inch. The outside ring of the drum is generally stamped with the minimum and/or maximum inside diameter specification.