See Figure 1
If equipped with an air bag system, make certain to follow the recommended disarming procedure before, and rearming procedure after, repairs.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable and disable the air bag system, if equipped.
- Remove the column to instrument panel trim plates and attaching nuts.
- Lower the steering column and disconnect the shift indicator cable.
- Disconnect the ignition and dimmer switch wire connectors.
The steering column must be supported at all times to prevent damage.
- Remove the switch attaching screws and remove the dimmer switch followed by the ignition switch.
- Move the key lock to the LOCK position.
- Move the actuator rod hole in the switch to the LOCK position.
Install the switch with the rod in the hole. Adjust the ignition switch as follows:
- 1990 - Place a 3/32 inch drill bit in the hole on the switch to lock the switch into position. Move the switch slider to the extreme left position then move the slider 1 detent to the right OFF LOCK position. Remove the drill bit.
- 1991-93 - Install the ignition switch in the LOCK position. Move the switch slider to the extreme right position and move the slider 1 detent to the left LOCK position. Depress switch mechanism slightly to insert a 3/32 inch drill bit into ignition switch.
Position and reassemble the steering column in reverse of the disassembly following the proper coil centering procedure. Enable the air bag system, if equipped, as follows:
- Connect the yellow 2-way SIR harness connector located at the base of the steering column.
- Install the SIR fuse to the fuse block.
- Turn the ignition switch to RUN and verify the inflatable restraint indicator flashes 7-9 times and then turns off.