REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
It is not necessary to remove or disconnect the master cylinder from the vehicle in order to remove the vacuum booster. However, if both the vacuum booster and master cylinder are to be removed, remove the master cylinder first.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Unfasten the master cylinder-to-booster retaining nuts.
- Separate the master cylinder from the booster. Move the master cylinder forward just enough to clear the studs on the vacuum booster. This will flex the brake pipes slightly; be careful not to bend or distort the pipes.
- Disconnect the vacuum hose from the vacuum check valve.
- Unfasten the booster retaining nuts.
- Disconnect the vacuum booster pushrod from the brake pedal inside the car. Tilt the entire vacuum booster slightly to work booster pushrod off the pedal clevis pin without putting undue side pressure on the pushrod.
- Remove the booster from the vehicle.
- Position the booster in the vehicle.
- Connect the booster pushrod to the brake pedal. Tilt the entire booster slightly to work the booster pushrod onto the pedal clevis pin without putting undue pressure on the pushrod. Use your left hand to align the pushrod with the pedal and push together.
- Install the booster attaching nuts, then tighten them to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
- Connect the booster vacuum hose to the vacuum check valve.
- position the master cylinder to the booster and install the retaining nuts.
- Connect the positive battery cable
- Connect the negative battery cable.