REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Prop open the lift gate and place protective coverings along the edges of the lift gate opening (to protect the paint from damage).
- Where necessary, disconnect the wire harness from the lift gate.
- While a helper supports the lid, use an awl or flat bladed tool to remove the clips on the gas supports and pull the supports off the retainer studs.
- Use a 3 / 16 in. (5mm) diameter rod to remove the hinge pins from the hinges. Place the end of the rod against the pointed end of the hinge pin; then strike the rod firmly to shear the retaining clip tabs and drive the pin through the hinge. Repeat the same thing on the opposite side hinge and with the aid of a helper remove the lift gate from the body.
- To install, reverse the removal procedure. Prior to installing the hinge pins, install new retaining clips in the notches provide in the hinge pins. Position the retaining clips so that the tabs point toward the head of the pin.
The gas support assemblies are attached to the lid and the body and are secured by retaining clips and/or bolts.