REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
- Raise and safely support the vehicle. Place jackstands under the suspension supports, then lower the vehicle slightly so the weight of the vehicle rests on the suspension supports, and not on the control arms.
- Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
- Unfasten the nut attaching the stabilizer link to the stabilizer shaft, then unfasten the nuts attaching the stabilizer shaft clamps to the suspension support. Detach the stabilizer shaft from the control arm and/or support assembly.
- Disconnect the ball joint from the steering knuckle using separator tool J-29330 or equivalent. For details, see the ball joint removal and installation procedure located in this section.
- To remove the support assembly with the control arm attached, remove the bolts mounting the support assembly to the car. To remove the control arm only, remove the control arm to support assembly bolts.
- Move the control arm into position, then loosely install the bolts attaching the control arm to the suspension support.
- Place the suspension support into position, guiding the ball joint into the steering knuckle, then loosely install the retaining bolts.
- Fasten the nuts attaching the stabilizer shaft clamps to the suspension support. Tighten to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm).
- Install the nuts attaching the ball joint to the steering knuckle. Tighten to the specifications located in the ball joint removal and installation procedure, then install a new cotter pin.
- Install the stabilizer link-to-shaft nut, then tighten to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm).
- Slightly raise the vehicle, then remove the jackstands from the under the suspension supports.
- Install the tire and wheel assembly.
With the vehicle at ground height, tighten the suspension support bolts, as follows:
Center bolts first, to 66 ft. lbs. (90 Nm)
- With the vehicle still at curb height, tighten the control arm retaining bolts to 61 ft. lbs. (83 Nm).
- Have the front end wheel alignment checked.
CONTROL ARM BUSHING REPLACEMENT
See Figure 6
- Remove the lower control arm as outlined earlier in this section.
- Install bushing removal tools J 29792 or equivalent.
- Coat the threads of the tool with extreme pressure lubricant.
- Remove the lower control arm bushings.
- Install the bushing installation tools.
- Coat the outer case of the bushing with a light coating of a suitable lubricant, then install the lower control arm bushings.
- As outlined earlier, install the lower control arm.