REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Remove the air cleaner.
- Detach the injector electrical connector by squeezing the two tabs together and pulling straight up.
Use care in removing to prevent damage to the electrical connector pins on top of the injector, injector fuel filter and nozzle. The fuel injector is only serviced as a complete assembly. Do not immerse it in any type of cleaner.
- Remove the fuel meter cover, as outlined in this section.
- With the fuel meter cover gasket in place to prevent damage to the throttle body, gently pry up on the injector evenly and carefully remove it, using a suitable prytool.
- Remove the large O-ring and steel back-up washer from the top of the injector cavity in the fuel meter body, then remove the small O-ring at the bottom of the injector cavity. Discard the gaskets.
- Lubricate a new, small O-ring with clean automatic transaxle fluid, then push the O-ring onto the nozzle end of the injector, pressing the ring up against the injector fuel filter.
- Place the steel back-up washer in the recess of the fuel meter body. Lubricate a new, large O-ring with clean automatic transaxle fluid, then install the O-ring directly above the back-up washer, pressing the O-ring down into the cavity recess. The O-ring is seated properly when it is flush with the fuel meter body casting surface.
Do not try to reverse this procedure and install backup washer and O-ring after injector is located in the cavity. This will prevent the O-ring from seating in the recess.
- Install the injector by using a pushing/twisting motion to the center nozzle O-ring in the bottom of the injector cavity and aligning the raised lug on the injector base with the notch case into the fuel meter body. Push down on the injector, making sure it is fully seated in the cavity. The injector installation is correct with the lug seated in the notch and the electrical terminals parallel to the throttle shaft in the throttle body.
- Install the fuel meter cover, as outlined later in this section.
- Attach the fuel injector electrical connector.
- Install the air cleaner assembly.
- Connect the negative battery cable.