To reduce the risk of fire and personal injury, it is necessary to relieve the fuel system pressure before servicing fuel system components (Refer to the appropriate procedure).
1.8L and 2.0L OHV Engines
- Remove the air cleaner. Plug the thermal vacuum port on the throttle body.
- Remove the fuel line between the throttle body and filter.
- Install a fuel pressure gauge between the throttle body and fuel filter. The gauge should be able to register at least 15 psi (30 kPa).
- Start the car. The pressure reading should be 9-13 psi (18-26 kPa).
- Depressurize the system and remove the gauge.
- Assemble the system.
- Release the fuel system pressure.
To reduce the risk of fire or personal injury, it is necessary to relieve the fuel system pressure before servicing the fuel system. Refer to Fuel System Pressure Release in the appropriate fuel injection system in this section.
- Obtain two sections of 3 / 8 in. steel tubing. Each should be about 10 in. (254mm) long. Double flare one end of each section.
- Install a flare nut on each section. Connect each of the above sections of tubing into the flare nut-to-flare nut adapters that are included in J-29658 gauge.
- Attach the pipe and the adapter assemblies to the J-29658 gauge.
- Jack up the car and support it safely.
- Disconnect the front fuel feed hose from the fuel pipe on the body.
- Install a 10 in. (254mm) length of 3 / 8 in. fuel hose on the fuel pipe on the body. Attach the other end of the hose onto one of the sections of the pipe mentioned in Step 2. Secure the hose connections with clamps.
- Start the engine and check for leaks.
- Observe the fuel pressure reading. It should be 9-13 psi (18-26 kPa).
- Depressurize the fuel system and remove the gauge with adapters. Reconnect the fuel feed hose to the pipe and torque the clamp to 15 inch lbs. (1.7 Nm).
- Carefully lower the car, the start the engine and check for fuel leaks.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Properly relieve the fuel system pressure, as outlined earlier in this section.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- As outlined later in this section, remove the fuel tank.
- Remove the fuel lever sending unit and pump assembly by turning the cam lock ring counterclockwise. Lift the assembly from the fuel tank and remove the fuel pump from the fuel level sending unit.
- Pull the fuel pump up into the attaching hose or pulsator while pulling outward away from the bottom support. After the pump is clear of the bottom support, pull the pump assembly out of the rubber connector or pulsator for removal.
- Position and push the pump into the attaching hose.
- Install the fuel level sending unit and pump assembly into the tank assembly. Use new O-rings during reassembly.
Be careful not to fold over or twist the strainer when installing the sending unit as it will restrict fuel flow. Also, be careful the strainer does not block full travel of the float arm.
- Install the cam lock over the assembly and lock by turning clockwise.
- Install the fuel tank.
- Connect the negative battery cable, then start the engine and check the system for proper operation.