REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Properly relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the air cleaner and gasket, then discard the gasket.
- While keeping the pressure regulator compressed, unfasten the four pressure regulator attaching screws.
- Remove the pressure regulator cover assembly.
- Remove the spring seat and the pressure regulator diaphragm assembly.
To prevent leaks, the pressure regulator diaphragm assembly must be replaced whenever the cover is removed.
- Inspect the pressure regulator valve seat for pitting, nicks or irregularities.
- Install the pressure regulator diaphragm assembly, making sure it is seated in the groove in the fuel meter body.
- Install the regulator spring seat and spring into the cover assembly.
- Hold the cover in place to prevent the diaphragm from slipping out of the groove, install the cover assembly over the diaphragm.
- While maintaining pressure on the regulator spring, install the four screw assemblies that have been coated with Loctite® 262, or equivalent thread locking compound. Tighten the screws to 21 inch lbs. (2.4 Nm).
- Tighten the fuel filler cap, if loosened during fuel pressure relief procedure.
- Connect the negative battery cable, then with the engine OFF , check to see that the accelerator pedal is free by depressing, then releasing it. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position for 2 seconds, then turn to the OFF position for 10 seconds. Again turn the switch to the ON position and check for fuel leaks.
- Install the air cleaner assembly and gasket.