- Turn the ignition to the OFF position.
- Make sure the fuel tank quantity is sufficient.
- Install pressure gauge J 29658-B or BT-8205 or equivalent to the fuel line.
- Apply battery voltage to the fuel pump test connector using a 10 amp fused jumper wire.
- Note the fuel pressure which should be 9-13 psi. (18-26 kPa).
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Properly relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the fuel tank, as outlined later in this section.
- Remove the fuel tank sending unit and pump assembly by turning the cam lock ring counterclockwise. Lift the assembly from the fuel tank, then remove the fuel pump from the fuel level sending unit.
- Pull the fuel pump up into the attaching hose or pulsator while pulling outward away from the bottom support. After the pump is clear of the bottom support, pull the pump assembly out of the rubber connector or pulsator for removal.
- Inspect the fuel pump attaching hose for any signs of deterioration, and replace as necessary. Also, make sure to check the rubber sound insulator at the bottom of pump and replace if required.
- Position, then push the fuel pump into the attaching hose.
- Using a new O-ring, install the fuel level sending unit and pump assembly into the tank assembly.
- Position the cam lock over the assembly and lock by turning clockwise. Attach the electrical connector.
- Install the fuel tank.
- Connect the negative battery cable, then check the system for proper operation.