REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Detach the vent hole at the carburetor if so equipped.
- Loosen the adjusting bolt and pivot bolt on the pump or release tension on drive belt tensioner assembly, then remove the pump's drive belt.
- Unfasten the pump-to-bracket or mounting bolts (through the access hole in the pulley as necessary) and remove the adjusting bolt if so equipped.
- Remove the high pressure fitting from the pump.
- Disconnect the reservoir-to-pump hose from the pump.
- Remove the power steering pump from the vehicle. If installing a new pump, transfer the pulley to the new pump.
- Installation is in the reverse order of removal. Adjust the belt tension and bleed the system, as outlined in this section.
- Raise the front of the vehicle and support safely. This will minimize steering effort. Fill the power steering pump reservoir with the appropriate type of power steering fluid.
- With the engine off, keep the reservoir full as an assistant turns the steering wheel from lock-to-lock several times. Stop with the steering system at one lock.
- Start the engine and allow it to idle. Turn the wheel from lock-to-lock several times. Note the amount of air bubbles in the fluid. Repeat the procedure until no more air bubbles appear.