REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7
- If equipped, disable the SIR system. For details, please refer to the procedure located in Chassis Electrical of this repair guide.
- If not done already, disconnect the negative cable.
- Unfasten the retaining screws or pull the pad/center cap from the steering wheel.
- Detach the horn lead, then remove remove the retainer (if so equipped).
- Unfasten the steering shaft nut.
- There should be alignment marks already present on the wheel and shaft. If not, matchmark the steering wheel to the shaft.
- Using a suitable steering wheel puller, remove the wheel from the vehicle. On some vehicles, a horn spring, eyelet and insulator are underneath; don't lose the parts.
- If equipped, install the spring, eyelet and insulator into the tower on the column.
- Install the wheel on the shaft, aligning the matchmarks. Install the shaft nut and tighten to 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm).
- Install the retainer.
- Attach the horn lead, then install the pad or center cap.
- If equipped, make sure to enable the SIR system as outlined in Chassis Electrical of this repair guide.
- Connect the negative battery cable.