REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Raise and safely support the vehicle. Remove the rear wheel(s).
- Remove the drum, rear brake shoes and wheel cylinders as described earlier in this section.
- Disconnect the parking brake cable from the backing plate.
- If not removed already, unfasten the retaining bolts, then remove the hub and bearing assembly. For details, please refer to the procedure in Suspension & Steering of this guide.
- Remove the backing plate from the vehicle.
- Install the backing plate to the axle assembly.
- Position the wheel cylinder to the backing plate and secure with the retainers.
- Install the hub and bearing, then secure using the assembly bolts.
- Connect the parking brake cable to the backing plate.
- Uncap and attach the inlet tube and nut to the wheel cylinder. Tight to 17 ft. lbs. (23 Nm).
- Install the drum and rear brake shoes. Check the brake adjustment.
- Bleed the brake system.
- Install the rear wheel(s).
- Carefully lower the vehicle, then tighten the lug nuts to 100 ft. lbs. (140 Nm).
- Adjust the parking brake.