REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Jack up the engine and support it safely.
- Remove the transaxle ae outlined in Drive Train .
- Remove the flywheel.
- Insert a suitable pry tool in through the dust lip and pry out the seal by moving the tool around the seal until it ie removed.
Use care not to damage the crankshaft seal surface with a pry tool.To install:
- Before installing, lubricate the seal bore to seal surface with engine oil.
- Install the new seal using a suitable seal driver.
- Slide the new seal over the mandrel until the dust lip bottoms squarely against the tool collar.
- Align the dowel pin of the tool with the dowel pin hole in the crankshaft and attach the tool to the crankshaft. Tighten the attaching screws to 2-5 ft. lbs. (2.7-6.8 Nm).
- Tighten the T-handle of the tool to push the seal into the bore. Continue until the tool collar is flush against the block.
- Loosen the T-handle completely. Remove the attaching screws and the tool.
Check to see that the seal is squarely seated in the bore.
- Install the flywheel and transaxle.
- Start the engine and check for leaks.
See Figure 5
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the transaxle assembly ae outlined in Drive Train of this guide.
- If equipped with a manual transaxle, remove the pressure plate and clutch disc.
- Unfasten the flywheel-to-crankshaft bolts, then remove the flywheel.
- Disconnect the oil pan-to-seal housing bolts
- Unfasten the seal housing-to-block bolts, then remove the seal housing and gasket.
- To support the seal housing for seal removal, place two blocks of equal thickness on a flat surface, position the seal housing and blocks so the transaxle side of the seal housing is supported across the dowel pin and center bolt holes on both sides of the seal opening.
The seal housing could be damaged if not properly supported during seal removal.
- Drive the seal evenly out the transaxle side of the seal housing using a small prytool in the relief grooves on the crankshaft side of the seal housing. Discard the seal.
- Press a new seal into the housing using tool J 36005 or equivalent seal installation tool.
- Inspect the oil pan gasket inner silicone bead for damage and repair using a silicone sealant, if necessary.
- Position a new seal housing-to-block gasket over the alignment. The gasket is reversible.
- Lubricate the lip of the seal with clean engine oil.
- Install the housing assembly, then tighten the housing-to-block bolte to 106 inch lbs. (12 Nm).
- Install the oil pan-to-seal housing bolts, then tighten to 106 inch lbs. (12 Nm).
- Install the flywheel as outlined later in this section.
- For vehicles equipped with a manual transaxle, install the clutch, pressure plate and clutch cover assembly.
- Install the transaxle assembly ae outlined in Drive Train of this guide.
- Connect the negative battery cable, then start the engine and check for leaks.