REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 10
- From inside the engine compartment remove the upper strut-to-body nuts and/or bolts.
- Loosen the wheel lug nuts, then raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Place jackstands under the front subframe. Lower the vehicle slightly so the weight of the vehicle rests on the jackstands and NOT the control arms.
- Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
- Before removing front suspension components, their positions should be marked so they may assemble correctly.
- If necessary, remove the brake line bracket.
- Remove the cotter pin and nut, then press the tie rod out of the strut bracket an appropriate puller. Discard the cotter pin.
- Unfasten and remove the strut-to-steering knuckle bolts and carefully lift out the strut.
The steering knuckle MUST be supported to prevent axle joint overextension.
- Remove the strut assembly from the vehicle. Be careful to avoid chipping or cracking the spring coating when handling the front suspension coil spring assembly.
- Move the strut into position, then install the nuts and/or bolts connecting the strut assembly to the body.
- Align the steering knuckle with the strut flange scribe mark made during removal, then install the bolts and nuts. Tighten to 133 ft. lbs. (180 Nm).
- Position the tie rod end into the strut assembly, then secure with the tie rod end bolt and new cotter pin. Tighten the tie rod end bolt to 44 ft. lbs. (60 Nm).
- Tighten the nuts and/or bolts attaching the top of the strut to the body to 18-20 ft. lbs. (25-27 Nm).
- Install the brake line bracket.
- Slightly raise the vehicle, then remove the jackstands from under the suspension supports.
- Install the tire and wheel assembly.
- Carefully lower the vehicle, then final tighten the lug nuts to 100 ft. lbs. (140 Nm).
See Figures 11 through 22
- Remove the strut assembly from the vehicle, as outlined earlier in this Section.
- Mount the strut assembly into a suitable spring compressor.
- Compress the strut approximately 1 / 2 its height after initial contact with the top cap.
- Remove the nut from the strut dampener shaft using an appropriate tool and place alignment/guiding rod J-34013-27 on top of the dampener shaft. Use the rod to guide the dampener shaft straight down through the spring cap while compressing the spring. Remove the components.
Be careful to avoid chipping or cracking the spring coating when handling the front suspension coil spring assembly.To install:
- Extend the dampener shaft and install clamp J-34013-20 on the dampener shaft.
- Install the spring over the strut.
- Install all shields, bumpers and insulators on the spring seat. Install the spring seat on top of the spring. Be sure the flat on the upper spring seat is facing in the proper direction. The spring seat flat should be facing the same direction as the centerline of the strut assembly steering knuckle.
- Install the guiding rod and turn the forcing screw on the spring compressor while the guiding rod centers the assembly. When the threads on the dampener shaft are visible, remove the guiding rod and install the nut.
- tighten the nut to 52 ft. lbs. (70 Nm).
- Remove the clamp.
- Install the strut into the vehicle.