REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the fuel tank by using a hand-operated pump device to drain as much fuel through the filler tube as possible.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Unfasten the muffler hanger bolts.
- Remove the exhaust rubber hangers, then allow the exhaust system to rest on the rear axle.
- Disconnect the hoses from the fuel tank sender. Grasp the filter and one nylon fuel connection line fitting. Twist the quick-connect fitting 1 / 4 turn in each direction to loosen any dirt within the fitting. Repeat for the other fitting. Using compressed air, blow out the dirt from the quick-connect fittings at the end of the fuel filter.
- Detach the quick-connect fittings by pulling the release tabs back on the fuel line quick connector and pulling apart. If difficulty is encountered, tool J 38778 or equivalent can be used to separate the fitting.
- Disconnect the hoses at the tank from the filler, vent and vapor pipes.
- With the help of an assistant, support the fuel tank, then disconnect the two tank retaining straps and lower the tank.
- Detach the fuel sender electrical connector.
- On 1996-00 vehicles, detach the fuel pressure sensor connector.
- Remove the tank from the vehicle.
If the tank is being replaced, perform the following:
- Remove the sound insulators.
- Remove the modular fuel sender, as outlined earlier in this section.
- Inspect all connectors for dirt and burrs. Clean or replace, as required. Inspect the fuel line O-rings for cuts, nicks, swelling and/or distortion and replace as necessary.
- Install the fuel sender assembly to the new tank, as outlined earlier in this section.
- Install the sound insulators.
- With the help of an assistant, raise the fuel tank to the vehicle and attach the fuel sender connector and, if equipped, the fuel pressure sensor connector.
- Raise the fuel tank into position then fasten the retaining straps. Tighten the retaining bolts to 26 ft. lbs. (35 Nm).
- Connect the hoses to the filler, vent and vapor pipes.
Attach the nylon fuel feed and return connecting line quick-connect fittings to the fuel sender, as follows:
- Apply a few drops of clean engine oil to the male connector tube ends.
- Push the connectors together to cause the retaining tabs/fingers to snap into place.
- Once installed, pull on both ends of each connection to be sure they are secure.
- Install the exhaust rubber hangers.
- Install the muffler hanger bolts, then tighten to 11 ft. lbs. (15 Nm).
- Attach the fuel tank sender electrical connector.
- Carefully lower the vehicle.
- Refill the fuel tank, then connect the negative battery cable.
- Turn the ignition to the ON position for two seconds, then turn it to the OFF position for ten seconds. Turn again to the ON position and check for fuel leaks.