REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the serpentine belt (2.2L engine only).
- Disconnect and cap the lines at the pump.
- Remove the mounting bolts, then remove the pump.
- On the 2.2L engine, if the pump is being replaced, transfer the pulley to the new pump. Use J-25034-B or equivalent pulley remover with J-37609 or equivalent shaft adapter to remove the pulley. Use J-36015 or equivalent pulley installer to install the pulley.
- Install the pump.
- Tighten the mounting bolts to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm).
- Uncap and connect the lines to the power steering pump and tighten to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
- Install the belt.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Fill the pump with fluid and bleed air from the power steering system.
- Road test the vehicle and verify no leaks.
See Figure 4
- Raise the front of the vehicle and support safely. This will minimize steering effort. Fill the power steering pump reservoir with the appropriate type of power steering fluid.
- With the engine off, keep the reservoir full as an assistant turns the steering wheel from lock-to-lock several times. Stop with the steering system at one lock.
- Start the engine and allow it to idle. Turn the wheel from lock-to-lock several times. Note the amount of air bubbles in the fluid. Repeat the procedure until no more air bubbles appear.