REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 11
The Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) system must be disarmed before removing the steering wheel. Failure to do so may cause accidental deployment of the air bag, resulting in unnecessary SIR system repairs and/or personal injury.
- Properly disable the SIR (air bag) system. Refer to Chassis Electrical .
- Remove the 2 screws from the back of the steering wheel that retain the air bag module. Disconnect the module CPA and electrical connection from the rear of the air bag module and remove the module. Set module aside.
When carrying a live air bag, make sure the bag and trim cover are pointed away from the body. In the unlikely event of an accidental deployment, the air bag will then deploy with minimal chance of injury. When placing a live air bag on a bench or other surface, always face the bag and trim cover up, away from the surface. This will reduce the motion of the module if it is accidentally deployed.
- Remove the steering wheel center nut.
- Use a suitable steering wheel puller and remove the steering wheel from the steering column.
- Align the mark on the steering wheel with the mark on the shaft then install the steering wheel. Install the center nut and torque to 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm).
- Install the air bag module using care when making the horn and air bag connections. The air bag module retaining screws should be tightened to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
- Properly enable the air bag system.
- Connect the negative battery cable.