The sealed accumulator assembly is connected to the evaporator outlet pipe. It functions as a liquid/vapor separator the receives refrigerant vapor, some liquid refrigerant and refrigerant oil from the evaporator.
In the accumulator is a desiccant which acts as a drying agent for the moisture that may have entered the system. There is an oil bleed hole located in the bottom of the accumulator outlet pipe which provides an oil return path to the compensator.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
Procedures for discharging and servicing the air conditioning system is described in Routine Maintenance . If a refrigerant recovery/recycling machine is not available, this job should be performed at a dealer or a shop that has the equipment.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Properly discharge the air conditioning system into a recovery/recycling machine.
- On some models, you will need to remove the air cleaner and resonator assemblies.
- Disconnect the low-pressure lines at the inlet and outlet fittings on the accumulator.
Cap the refrigerant lines when opening the system to prevent the entry of dirt and moisture and the loss of refrigerant lubricant.
- Unplug the pressure cycling switch connection and remove the switch, as required.
- Loosen the lower strap bolt and spread the strap. Turn the accumulator and remove.
- Drain and measure the oil in the accumulator. Discard the old oil.
- Add new oil equivalent to the amount drained from the old accumulator. Add an additional 2-3 oz. (60-90ml) of oil to compensate for the oil retained by the accumulator desiccant.
- Position the accumulator in the securing bracket, then tighten the clamp bolt to 88 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
- Install new O-rings at the inlet and outlet connections on the accumulator. Lubricate the O-rings with refrigerant oil.
- Connect the low-pressure inlet and outlet lines, tighten to 35 ft. lbs. (48 Nm).
- Connect the negative battery cable. Tighten the cable bolt to 11 ft. lbs. (15 Nm).
- Evacuate, charge and leak test the system.
- Reinstall the air cleaner assembly if removed.
- Reset the radio, clock and any other applicable electronic devices.