The function of the switch is to protect the compressor by de-energizing the compressor in the event of a low-charge condition. The switch may be mounted at the back of the compressor or on the coupled hose assembly near the compressor. Servicing the valve requires discharging the system.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Procedures for discharging and servicing the air conditioning system is described in Routine Maintenance . If a refrigerant recovery/recycling machine is not available, this job should be performed at a dealer or a shop that has the equipment.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Properly discharge the air conditioning system into a recovery/recycling machine.
- Unplug the electrical connector(s).
- If the switch is mounted to the rear head of the compressor, remove the coupled hose assembly to gain access to the switch. Remove the switch.
- If the switch is mounted to the coupled hose assembly, remove the switch from its mounting position.
- Install the switch.
- Lubricate new O-rings with refrigerant oil.
- If the switch is mounted to the rear head of the compressor, install the switch. Install new O-rings on the coupled hose assembly and install the assembly to the back of the compressor.
- If the switch is mounted on the coupled hose assembly, install the switch.
- Engage the electrical connector(s).
- Connect the negative battery cable. Tighten the cable bolt to 11 ft. lbs. (15 Nm).
- Evacuate, charge and leak test the system.
- Reset the radio, clock and any other applicable electronic devices.