REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12
- On 1987 and newer models, disconnect the negative battery cable, remove the hush panel from inside the vehicle, then disconnect the clutch master cylinder pushrod from the clutch pedal.
- Remove the transaxle.
- Mark the pressure plate assembly and the flywheel so that they can be assembled in the same position. They were balanced as an assembly at the factory.
- Loosen the attaching bolts one turn at a time until spring tension is relieved.
- Support the pressure plate and remove the bolts. Remove the pressure plate and clutch disc. Do not disassemble the pressure plate assembly, replace it if defective.
- Inspect the flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing and the clutch fork and pivot shaft assembly for wear. Replace the parts as required. If the flywheel shows any signs of overheating, or if it is badly grooved or scored, it should be replaced.
- Clean the pressure plate and flywheel mating surfaces thoroughly. Position the clutch disc and pressure plate into the installed position, and support with a dummy shaft or clutch aligning tool. The clutch plate is assembled with the damper springs offset toward the transaxle. One side of the factory supplied clutch disc is stamped "Flywheel side" on some vehicles.
- Install the pressure plate-to-flywheel bolts. Tighten them gradually in a crisscross pattern.
- Lubricate the outside groove and the inside recess of the release bearing with high temperature grease. Wipe off any excess. Install the release bearing.
- Install the transaxle.
- On 1987 and newer models connect the clutch master cylinder pushrod to the clutch pedal and install the retaining clip.
- On 1987 and newer models, if equipped with cruise control, check the switch adjustment at the clutch pedal bracket.
- Attach the clutch cable on older vehicles at the transaxle and clutch release lever.
When adjusting the cruise control switch, do not exert an upward force on the clutch pedal pad of more than 20 lbs. (9 kg) or damage to the master cylinder pushrod retaining ring may result.
- On 1987 and newer models, install the hush panel and reconnect the negative battery cable.
- Check the clutch operation. Adjust and add fluid as necessary.