REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Some vehicles are equipped with the Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) system. This system must be disabled before performing service on or around the air bag, instrument panel components, wiring and sensors. Failure to follow safety and disabling procedures could result in accidental air bag deployment, possible personal injury and unnecessary air bag system repairs.
- Disable the SIR system, if equipped.
- Disconnect the negative battery terminal.
- Unplug the cruise control switch connector at the base of steering column. It may be necessary to remove an under dash panel or trim piece for access.
- Make sure the lever is in the CENTER or OFF position.
- Pull the lever straight out of the retaining clip within the steering column.
- Attach mechanic's wire or similar pull wire to the connector. Gently pull the harness through the column, leaving the pull wire in place.
- Place the transmission selector in LOW or 1 . Attach the mechanic's wire to the connector. Gently pull the harness into place, checking that the harness is completely clear of any moving or movable components such as tilt-column, telescoping column, brake pedal linkage, etc.
- Position the lever and push it squarely into the retainer until it snaps in place.
- Remove the mechanic's wire and engage the cruise control harness connector.
- Reinstall any panels or insulation which were removed for access.
- Connect the negative battery terminal.
- Enable the SIR system.
- Reset the radio, clock, etc. as necessary.