REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Some vehicles are equipped with the Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) system. This system must be disabled before performing service on or around the air bag, instrument panel components, wiring and sensors. Failure to follow safety and disabling procedures could result in accidental air bag deployment, possible personal injury and unnecessary air bag system repairs.
Optical Type With Buffer
- Disable the SIR system, if equipped.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- To gain access to the sensor and buffer behind the speedometer, the instrument cluster must be partially removed. When doing so, unplug the harness connector at the rear of the cluster. If the cluster is pulled too far outward with the harness attached, both may be damaged.
- Unplug the amplifier connector.
- Remove the speed sensor attaching screw and remove the sensor through the opening in the base of the instrument panel.
- Route the sensor wire connector and harness through the opening in the base of the instrument panel.
- Install the sensor on its bracket and install the retaining screw.
- Engage the amplifier connector.
- Reinstall the instrument cluster and connect the electrical harness.
- Connect the negative battery cable. Tighten the cable bolt to 11 ft. lbs. (15 Nm).
- Reset the radio, clock and any other applicable electronic devices.
See Figure 1
- On some models, it will be easier to access the speed sensor with the wheel removed. If so, loosen the wheel lugs, then raise and support the vehicle. Remove the wheel.
- Disconnect the wiring harness from the speed sensor. If the sensor also contains the speedometer cable, remove the cable.
- Remove the retainer clip or screw depend