REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
All lines may be removed without moving the injection pump. It is not necessary to use a back-up wrench.
- Remove the air cleaner.
- Remove the filters and pipes from the valve covers and air crossover.
- Remove the air crossover. Cap the intake manifold with special cover J-29657 or its equal.
When working on the right rear bank of the engine it may be necessary to do the following:
- Rotate the intermediate steering shaft so that the steering gear stub shaft clamp bolt is in the up position, then remove the clamp bolt.
- Disconnect the intermediate shaft from the stub shaft.
- Remove the engine support strut, then place a floor jack under the front crossmember of the cradle, then raise the vehicle just enough to lift the car off the ground.
- Remove the two front body mounts #1 and 3 bolts with the lower cushions and retainers. Remove the cushions from the bolts.
- Thread the body mount bolts with the retainers a minimum of 3 turns into the cage nuts so that the bolts restrain the cradle movement.
- Release the floor jack slowly until the crossmember contacts the body mount bolt retainers. When the jack is being lowered watch and fix any interference with hoses, lines, pipes and cables.
- Reverse the above steps after completing the line replacement. Tighten the intermediate steering clamp bolt to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm) and the body mount bolts to 77 ft. lbs. (105 Nm).
- Remove the injection pump line clamps. Remove the injection pump lines. Cap open lines, nozzles and pump fittings. Use a back-up wrench on the nozzle hex to prevent a fuel leak.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.