REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The ring gear is an integral part of the flywheel and is not replaceable.
- Remove the transaxle.
- Remove the bolts attaching the flywheel to the crankshaft flange. Remove the flywheel.
- Inspect the flywheel for cracks, and inspect the ring gear for burrs or worn teeth. Replace the flywheel if any damage is apparent. Remove burrs with a mill file.
- Clean the flywheel bolt threads and bolt holes.
- Apply thread locker GM part no.12345382 or an equivalent to all of the flywheel bolts.
- Attach the flywheel and start bolts. The flywheel will only attach to the crankshaft in one position, as the bolt holes are unevenly spaced. Use a suitable tool to prevent the rotation of the crankshaft.
- Tighten the bolts to specifications.
- Install the transaxle.