REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
EXCEPT 3.0L AND 3.8L ENGINES
- After removing the timing cover, pry oil seal out of front of cover.
- Install new lip seal with lip (open side of seal) inside and drive or press seal carefully into place. The use of tools J-34995, J-35468 or an equivalent can be helpful.
- Using a drift punch, drive the oil seal and the shedder from the front toward the rear of the timing cover.
- To install the new oil seal, coil it around the opening with the ends toward the top. Using a punch, drive in the oil seal and stake it at three places. Rotate a hammer handle inside the seal until the crankshaft balancer can be inserted through the opening.
- To complete the installation, reverse the removal procedures. Tighten the balancer bolt to proper torque.
EXCEPT DIESEL ENGINE
The oil seal may be removed from the timing cover without removing the cover. To do this, remove the damper pulley and pry the oil seal from the timing cover, using a small pry bar.
Place a seal installation tool J-34995, J-35468 or equivalent on the crankshaft (to prevent damaging the seal) when installing the new oil seal or the front cover. To install the new oil seal, place the seal's open end toward the inside of the cover and drive it into the cover. Tighten the damper pulley bolt to proper torque.4.3L DIESEL ENGINE
See Figures 1 and 2
- Remove the crankshaft balancer from the crankshaft.
- Using tools J-1859-03 and J-23129 or equivalent, press the oil seal from the timing cover.
- Remove the burrs from the front cover with a tapered reamer or bearing scraper so that when the seal is installed the seals outside diameter is not scratched. This also forms a chamfer at the opening so that the seal will enter the front of the cover squarely.
- Lubricate the seal lip with engine oil and the outer edge with sealant GM no. 1050026. Using tool J-29659 or equivalent, press the new oil seal into the timing cover until it seats.
- To complete the installation, reverse the removal procedures. Tighten the crankshaft balancer bolt to 203-350 ft. lbs. (275-474 Nm).