REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. On some vehicles you will need to remove the air cleaner assembly.
- Drain the cooling system.
- Unplug the fan electrical connector.
- Remove the attaching bolts for the fan, then remove the fan assembly.
- Remove the forward strut brace for the engine at the radiator. Loosen the bolt to prevent shearing the rubber bushing, then swing the strut rearward.
- On 2.5L engine, remove the resonator mounting and resonator. Disconnect the headlamp wiring harness from the fan frame.
- Some vehicles will require you to scribe the hood latch location on the radiator support, then remove the latch.
- Disconnect the coolant hoses from the radiator. Keep rags handy for this step. Remove the coolant recovery tank hose from the radiator neck. Disconnect and plug the automatic transmission fluid cooler lines from the radiator, if so equipped. On the diesel engine, disconnect the engine oil cooler hoses.
- Remove the upper mounting panel mounting bolts and the panel.
- Remove the radiator attaching bolts and remove the radiator. If the car has air conditioning, if first may be necessary to raise the left side of the radiator so that the radiator neck will clear the compressor.
If a new radiator is going to be installed, check that all the fittings and brackets from the old radiator are removed, you'll need them on the new one.
- Install the radiator in the car, tightening the mounting bolts to 7 inch lbs. (0.8 Nm). Connect the transmission cooler lines and hoses. Install the coolant recovery hose.
- Secure the upper and lower radiator hoses.
- Install the hood latch. Tighten to 6 ft. lbs. (8 Nm).
- Install the fan, making sure the bottom leg of the frame fits into the rubber grommet at the lower support. Tighten the fan bolts to 80 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
- Install the fan wires and the headlamp wiring harness. Swing the strut and brace forward, tightening the bolt to 11-18 ft. lbs. (15-24 Nm) and the nut to 39 ft. lbs. (53 Nm).
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Fill the cooling system with clean coolant.
- Start the vehicle, top off the coolant.
- Pressure test the system to verify no leaks.