REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the engine coolant in a suitable container.
- Remove the valve cover and gasket.
- Loosen and remove the rocker arm nuts. Remove the rocker arms and balls.
- Remove the pushrods.
- Remove the engine lift bracket from the rear of the engine.
- Disconnect the spark plug wires, route them under the intake manifold.
- Remove the cylinder head with the intake and exhaust manifolds attached.
- Unbolt the anti-rotation brackets then remove them.
- Remove the lifters. Keep all components separated so they may be reinstalled in the same location.
When ever new valve lifters are being installed, coat the foot of the valve lifters with camshaft assembly lube GM part no. 1052365 or equivalent.
The lifter foot is slightly convex. This can be detected by holding a straight edge to the surface while looking into a light source. If the lifter foot is worn flat or grooved, it must be replaced.
- Lubricate the bearing surfaces with GM part no. 1052365 or equivalent.
- Install the lifters in the same bores they were taken from.
- Install the anti-rotation brackets, tighten the mounting bolts to 97 inch lbs. (11 Nm).
- Install the spark plug wires to the correct plugs.