REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Remove the steel mast from the antenna base.
- Loosen the antenna escutcheon nut on top of the fender using a special tool J-28641 or an equivalent.
- Remove the two side mounting bolts through the engine compartment.
- On some models you will need to remove the right sound insulator and shroud panel to access the antenna cable.
- Disconnect the antenna lead in the cable.
On some models you will need to:
- Raise and support the car, to remove the inner fender clips and screws.
- Pull back the inner fender strip and remove the escutcheon nut. Remove the antenna base assembly.
- Inspect the grommet in the fender wheel for cracks or distortion of any kind.
- Replace the grommet if needed.
- Slide the new antenna into place, with the antenna lead attached.
- Install the escutcheon nut. Attach the inner fender clips and screws, then lower the vehicle.
- Tighten the two mounting bolts in the engine compartment, then tighten the antenna escutcheon nut.
- Install the antenna mast to the base.
- Reinstall the right shroud panel and sound insulator.
See Figure 3
The pigtail from the glass to the lead-in can be replaced by carefully cutting away the sealer, removing the pigtail and soldering a new pigtail to the copper plate. Use a rosin core solder and only enough heat to obtain a good solder joint. Reseal with RTV. Body sealer should not be used. To replace the lead-in:
- Disconnect the lead-in from the radio.
- Connect a 3 ft. length of wire to the lead-in connector to aid in pulling the new lead-in into place.
- Remove the lower windshield reveal molding and the air inlet grille.
- Unplug the pigtail connector from the antenna lead-in connector at the cowl.
- Remove the two attaching screws and the antenna lead-in to the cowl.
- Pull the lead-in out until the wire attached in the previous step is accessible. Disconnect the wire from the lead-in.
- Wrap the pull-in wire around the new antenna lead-in and start feeding the lead-in through the cowl.
- Apply RTV sealer to the cowl where the lead-in attaches to the cowl.
- Pull the lead-in into place, then install the attaching screws.
- Engage the pigtail connector to the antenna lead-in.
- Install the air inlet grille and the reveal molding.
- Remove the pull-in wire from the antenna lead-in connector, then plug the lead-in into the radio.