REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Remove the hub nut.
- Raise the front of the car. Remove the wheel and tire.
- Install an axle shaft boot seal protector, GM special tool J-28712 or equivalent, onto the seal.
- Disconnect the brake hose clip from the MacPherson strut, but do not disconnect the hose from the caliper. Remove the brake caliper, rotor and shield from the spindle, and hang the caliper out of the way by a length of wire. Do not allow the caliper to hang by the brake hose.
- Matchmark the camber alignment cam bolt for reassembly. Remove the cam bolt and the upper attaching bolt from the strut and spindle.
- Pull the steering knuckle assembly from the strut bracket.
Prior to installation, a new knuckle seal should be installed on the steering knuckle.
- Loosely attach the steering knuckle to the suspension strut, then install the rotor and the hub nut. When the shaft begins to turn with the hub, insert a drift through the caliper into one of the cooling slots in the rotor to keep it from turning. Insert a long bolt in the hub flange to prevent the shaft from turning. Tighten the hub nut to 70 ft. lbs. (95 Nm).
- Tighten the brake caliper bolts to 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm).
- Load the hub assembly by lowering it onto a jackstand. Align the camber cam bolt marks made during removal, then install the bolt and tighten to 140 ft. lbs. (190 Nm). Tighten the upper nut to the same value.
- Remove the boot seal protector.
- Connect the brake hose clip to the strut. Install the tire and wheel, lower the car, and tighten the hub nut to 225 ft. lbs. (305 Nm) for 1981-82 models, or 185 ft. lbs. (251 Nm) for 1983-89 models.
- Loosen the lug nuts on the side of the vehicle from which you will be removing the knuckle.
- Raise and support the vehicle, then remove the lug nuts.
- Remove and discard the hub nut, then disconnect the drive axle.
- Disconnect the outer tie rod from the end of the steering knuckle. Scribe the strut to the knuckle, then remove the strut to knuckle bolts.
- Loosen and remove the steering knuckle bolt and nut, then remove the knuckle. Disassemble the bearing hub and rotor splash shield. Using a prytool, dislodge the inner dust seal.
- Install a new inner dust seal, then reconnect the bearing hub and rotor splash shield.
- Attach the knuckle assembly with its mounting nut and bolt, tighten the nut to 38 ft. lbs. (52 Nm).
- Install the strut bolts, then tighten them to 122 ft. lbs. (165 Nm).
- Reconnect the drive axle. Install the hub nut, wheel and lug nuts.
- Lower the vehicle, tighten the lug nuts to 100 ft. lbs. (136 Nm). Inspect the wheel alignment.