REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Disable the SIR system, if equipped.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the steering wheel. Remove the trim cover.
- Loosen the cover screws. Pry the cover off with a flat bladed tool, then lift the cover off the shaft.
- Position the U-shaped lockplate compressing tool on the end of the steering shaft and compress the lock plate by turning the shaft nut clockwise. Pry the wire snapring out of the shaft groove.
- Remove the tool and lift the lock plate off the shaft.
- Slip the canceling cam, upper bearing preload spring, and thrust washer off the shaft.
- Remove the turn signal lever. Push the flasher knob in and unscrew it. Remove the button retaining screw and remove the button, spring and knob.
- Pull the switch connector out the mast jacket and tape the upper part to facilitate switch removal. Attach a long piece of wire to the turn signal switch connector. When installing the turn signal switch, feed this wire through the column first, then use this wire to pull the switch connector into position. On tilt wheels, place the turn signal and shifter housing in low position and remove the harness cover.
- Remove the three switch mounting screws. Remove the switch by pulling it straight up while guiding the wiring harness cover through the column.
- Install the replacement switch by working the connector and cover down through the housing and under the bracket. On tilt models, the connector is worked down through the housing, under the bracket, and then the cover is installed on the harness.
- Install the switch mounting screws and the connector on the mast jacket bracket. Install the column-to-dash trim plate.
- Install the flasher knob and the turn signal lever.
- With the turn signal lever in neutral and the flasher now out, slide the thrust washer, upper bearing preload spring, and canceling cam onto the shaft.
- Position the lock plate on the shaft and press it down until a new snapring can be inserted in the shaft groove. Always use a new snapring when assembling.
- Install the cover and the steering wheel.
- Connect the negative battery cable, then enable the SIR system, if equipped.