REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The 6000 STE AWD vehicle has rear leaf spring suspension rather than the common coil spring.
- Loosen the lug nuts from the rear wheels.
- Raise the vehicle with a suitable hoist. Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
- Remove the 4 bolts from the jacking plate, then remove the jacking plate.
- Install the spring compression tool J-33432. Unfasten the 1 bolt securing the brake line at the electronic ride control (ERC) sensor bracket to the left hand control arm, then move the bracket out of the way.
- Remove both of the control arm outer nuts and bolts at the knuckles.
It is not necessary to completely remove the control arms to permit removal of the leaf spring.
- Disconnect and remove the outer stabilizer bar brackets, then loosen the spring compression tool J-33432 to allow the control arm to drop, then remove the tool.
- Unsecure the 4 bolts (2 on each side) from the left and right spring-to-cradle brackets, then remove the brackets.
- Remove the leaf spring by sliding it outwards.
- Position the leaf spring to the cradle assembly. Make sure that the spring is properly seated in the control arms.
- Insert the 2 leaf spring-to-cradle brackets, use the 4 bolts and tighten them to 61 ft. lbs. (83 Nm).
- Attach the spring compression tool J-33432 on the spring and tighten to draw the outer control arm bolt bores up to the knuckle bores.
- Install the outer stabilizer bar brackets. Fasten the bolts and nuts to the outer control arms and tighten the nuts to 125 ft. lbs. (170 Nm).
- Reinstall the 1 bolt on the left control arm which secures the brake line/ERC sensor bracket, then tighten to 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm).
- Remove the spring compressor tool.
- Install the tire and wheel, then hand-tighten the lug nuts.
- Lower the vehicle, then tighten the lug nuts to 100 ft. lbs. (136 Nm).