REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
The following tools or equivalent will be needed to do this repair: J-33432 leaf spring compressor and J-37619 ball joint stud remover.
- Loosen the lug nuts on the rear wheels.
- Open the decklid and raise the vehicle securely.
- Remove the wheel and tire assembly, then remove the lug nuts.
- Support the lower control arm with a suitable stand or install the leaf spring compressor tool J-33432.
- Remove the outer toe link cotter pin and the castellated nut at the strut.
- Disconnect the toe link end from the lower strut mount assembly using tool J-37619.
- Remove the parking brake cable from the strut mount bracket and move it out of the way.
- Remove the bolts from the parking brake cable bracket and remove the bracket.
- Loosen and remove the lower strut mount bolts that attach to the spindle, make sure to retain the nut plate for installation.
- Disconnect the upper strut mount by removing the attaching bolts, then pull the strut assembly from the vehicle.
- Position the strut to the upper strut mounting flange, install the upper strut mounting bolts and hand-tighten them.
- Position the lower strut mount to the spindle assembly. Position the nut plate into place, then install the 2 bolts into the lower strut mount assembly.
- Tighten the lower mount bolts to 148 ft. lbs. (200 Nm).
- Install the brake cable bracket to the lower strut mount and install the 2 attaching bolts. Connect the parking brake cable into the cable bracket.
- Install the toe link end to the lower strut mount assembly.
- Mount the castellated nut onto the outer toe link end at the lower strut mount, then tighten to 46 ft. lbs. (62 Nm).
- Insert a new cotter pin at the castellated nut, tighten the upper strut mount bolts to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm).
- Remove the leaf spring compression tool or stand supporting the control arm.
- Install the wheel and tire, hand-tighten the lug nuts.
- Lower the vehicle, tighten the lug nuts to 100 ft. lbs. (136 Nm). Close the decklid.